St. Stephen’s Christmas Outreach
“Backpacks for the Homeless”
This is the seventh year that our Christmas outreach includes providing filled backpacks for The Mustard Seed’s “Socks and Backpacks” program, in support of the homeless. At Inn From The Cold, we see how many homeless people carry all of their possessions in one bag. Yet many of the bags are in terrible condition and do not contain even the basic necessities. In response, let us assemble at least 50 good quality, medium-sized backpacks for men and fill them with must-have and nice-to-have items (see list over).
The sign up sheet and needs list is in the Narthex. Donate as much cash or as many items as you can. Please complete the sign up sheets so we know what is being donated. Items may be brought to the Church office during office hours (Monday to Friday, 9 – 12) or delivered during any of our Worship services. All donations must be received by Sunday, December 9. Bags will be packed on Saturday, December 15 and blessed on December 16 at the 10:30 am service.
For information contact Dave and Barb Driftmier at
403-288-6709 or by email at email@example.com
The following items are needed:
- Good quality, medium size back pack
- Pair of man’s warm socks
- Bar of soap in a container
- Travel size shampoo and conditioner
- Toothbrush and tube of toothpaste
- Hairbrush or comb
- Travel size lotion
- Small package of Kleenex
- Nail clippers
- Lip Balm
- Box of Band Aids
- Notepad and pen
- A book of transit tickets
- Gift card for movie theatre
- Gift card for coffee or food (eg: Tim Hortons, McDonalds)
- A Christmas card from St. Stephen’s with a personal note of encouragement (cards are in a basket by the sign up sheet.)
- Financial donation with which we can purchase items we are missing. Please mark your cheque “Backpack Project” and put in a collection plate during the service.
If you choose to donate a filled backpack, please use the above list as your guide.